It is hard to find archival materials about South Dakota when they’re not in South Dakota collections… or major national collections like the Library of Congress… but such is the way of archives. Sometimes, there is good stuff tucked away in strange corners.
One example I found recently, with great thanks to WorldCat.org, is the set of images from the Goodyear Co. in the university libraries of the University of Akron, mostly from Pickstown and Mitchell in 1951, including images of the dealerships/service stations in those communities, as well as images of the Fort Randall dam under construction.
In the past, I have come across these others as well:
- Results for “South Dakota” in the Digital Horizons collection, put together by archives in North Dakota.
- These results for “South Dakota” from the New York Public Library’s digital collections, including early drawings of the pre-settlement period, early views of the Black Hills, maps, scrapbook pages from a German-from-Russia family, images of the state capitol, stereograph images, images from reservations, early agriculture and hunting, and others.
- Results for “South Dakota” and “s.d.” in the Denver Public Library’s digital collections including Pine Ridge, reservations, Wounded Knee, “Indian scouts,” Brookings, agriculture, Black Hills (Deadwood, Lead, Hot Springs, Sylvan Lake…), railroad, and basketball.
- Results for “South Dakota” in the David Rumsey map collection.
- And there are some very niche that I’ve stumbled upon, like results for “South Dakota” in the Museum of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Results for “South Dakota” in collections of Southern Methodist University, Dallas TX, including stereograph views of the territory, Karl Bodmer prints.
I’ll add others here as I find them:
- Images of tractors plowing on the prairie from Keystone View Co. lantern slides, College of Charleston, via Lowcountry Digital Library (SC).
- 45,187 results for “South Dakota” from The Portal to Texas History, including many maps.
- 12 results for “South Dakota” in Montana Memory Project. Photos of Lemmon, rodeo, Rosebud Agency, Crook’s Expedition, man Frosted from Standing Rock,
What are others that you have used??